While the cold season seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its effect on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To take aim at lowering your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to allow sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep warm air from escaping.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Attempting to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 772-600-7151. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Stuart weather.