Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Stuart, many of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be replaced. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Breathe Healthier Air can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Breathe Healthier Air in Stuart a call to begin. Give us a shout at 772-353-4633 or arrange an appointment with us online.